Some users encounter internet connection issues after upgrade from a previous version of Windows to Windows 10. They may be unable to connect to the Internet when the network adapters are not properly functioning. If you are stuck in the same issue but fail to troubleshoot it, the last resort try is to reset all networking devices to fix network connection issues for your Windows 10. Resetting network adapter means to roll back to its default settings, and you will need to set up the configurations afterwards. Well, there are two ways of resetting network adapter in Windows 10.
Before resetting your network adapter, you can write down all your network settings so as to set them afterwards. And you should sign in with an administrator account.
Option 1: Reset network adapter in Settings
- Click Start > Settings (or press Windows + I keys together) to open the Settings app.
- Click the Network & Internet category, and then tap the Status section on the left.
- On the right side of the window, scroll down to tap on the “Network reset” link.
- Click the Reset now button, and then click Yes in the pop-up confirmation dialog.
Then you are informed that your computer will shut down in 5 minutes. Close the notification and save all your work before the time’s up. You can also reboot your device manually. After the restart, you are asked to click Yes/No to make your PC discoverable. We suggest you tap on No if you are using public networks.
Option 2. Reset network adapter in Command Prompt
- Click the Search icon on the left button of screen and type “CMD” in the search bar.
- Right click Command Prompt from the search list and choose Run as administrator.
- As the Command Prompt opens, type “netsh winsock reset” and hit Enter key.
- When the box displays “Winsock reset completed successfully”, reboot your PC.
Now your network adapters are successfully reset and need to be reconfigured again. Any network connections require to be set up. If you use other networking software such as a proxy or a VPN, you will have to re-install and configure those as well.
Have other networking connection issues? Desired to fix system errors with ease? Unsatisfied with your computer’s slow performance? Visit here to learn more.